Healthy RECIPE: Millet Upma!
Have you ever tried upma with Millet?
This weekend try this healthy upma and share your feedback with us.
- 1 Cup Any Millet Semolina (I like little millet and foxtail millet)
- 2 Tsp White Udad Dal (White Lentil)
- ½ Tsp Mustard Seeds (Rai)
- ½ Tsp Cumin Seeds (Jeera)
- Pinch of Asafoetida (Hing)
- 2 Green Chillies (Split into halves)
- ¾ Inch Ginger (Finely Chopped
- 1 /4 cup green peas
- 1 /4 cup carrots cut into small pcs
- Curry patta (curry leaves)
- 1 onion – medium – Optional
- Salt to taste
- 2 cups water
- 1 /4 pcs cut lemon
- Coriander to garnish
Method:Roast the white udad dal to a golden brown. Add the mustard seeds, jeera and roast till it sputters. Quickly add green chillies, ginger and the curry leaves. Now add asafoetida and then the roasted millet semolina. Roast it on a low flame for a couple of minutes. Put the peas, carrots and onions and salt. Put 2 cups of water and pressure cook to 3 whistles. Take it out on a serving bowl and garnish with coriander and lemons. You can add any vegetables like spinach and other greens.
Variation: You can make millet rotis just like you make wheat rotis. Now that you know how to make curd you can make millet curd. Cook millet in pressure cooker like you would cook rice. Cool it. Beat some curd and add ginger and salt to it. Mix the millets and curd. Do a dry tampering with udad dal (white lentil), mustard seeds, jeera, hing and curry leaves. Garnish with coriander.-More details and next program registration on The Freedom From Diabetes website http://www.freedomfromdiabetes.org/Register#registration-section
Contact: Dr Pramod Tripathi office 7776077760